Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 13:57:34 -0500
From:      "Troy Settle" <troy@picus.com>
To:        "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>, "Alfred Perlstein" <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: filesystem full?

Hmm... bad taste to reply to one's own posts... but, I need to make a
correction:

** If a process dies out, the kernel should release all resources used by that
** process.  The only processes using the /var filesystem, are the
** default system
** processes.  I can't make any claims otherwise.

After re-reading other replies, this should read:

If a process has a file open, the kernel should not allow a user or another
process to delete said file.

**
** I do know that my mail server has been up for 239 days without problem, and
** another box I admin is a few days short of a year, and it's doing
** mail, web,
** nat, dhcp, ftp, etc...  I don't have to do any manual maintenance on those
** boxes or any other box that I administrate.
**
** In the 5 years I've been using FreeBSD, this is the first time I've seen a
** problem of this nature that I couldn't resolve without rebooting.
** So yes, I
** consider this an issue that puts a dent in FreeBSD's claim of
** stability.  It
** needs to be addressed.
**
** What I don't get, is why everyone is getting so defensive over this.  All I
** did was point out a potential problem, and everyone's jumping on me.
**
** Y'all need to take a pill or something.  Chill out.
**
** -Troy
**