Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 1999 18:08:01 +1000
From:      Robert Chalmers <robert@chalmers.com.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>, W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A tricky PPP + Routing question

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Saturday, 23 January 1999 at  9:45:38 +1100, Andrew MacIntyre wrote:
> > On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Robert Chalmers wrote:
> >
> >> I have a C class network. 203.1.96.0 to 255. All valid.
> >>
> >> Their addresses are:
> >> Their end. 139.130.78.1
> >> My end:    139.130.78.12

Hi Greg,
I know. I went to this movie before.  - with telstra. This time, I dug in, and a nice
chap at their end rejigged the setup, so my IPs run at my end, and their IPs run on
their end. Now all I have to do is stop my existing (tpgi) service and stop it from
broadcasting the rout, so I can actually use the telstra link.

Now, the telstra chap did tell me, that when I go 64k ISDN, they will INSIST that the
router has one of thier addresses at my end, and I have to route my ethernet address
to that link address. The reasoning being that if they need to check the status of
the link, they can easily (????) ping one of their numbers, it being at my end of the
link, and that gives them an assurance that at least the link is up. It sounds like
nonsense to me - all I have to do is turn off the router and that method goes out the
window.

> Well, the real answer is that somebody should explain to your carrier
> that this is a lot of nonsense.  There are a number of Telstra
> customers who are pissed off with this requirement, myself included.
> Sure, you can set the routing as Andrew suggests, and it'll work, but
> what's the name of your machine?  nanguo.chalmers.com.au?  Or
> robert9.lnk.telstra.net?  You can certainly get them to change the
> name of the link (if they get silly, point to 139.130.136.133), but
> you end up with all sorts of problems: some (broken, but paranoid) ftp
> servers will refuse you access (try ftp.guug.de, for example), your
> mail will go out with suggestions in the headers ``may be forged'',
> you may end up with hanging NFS mounts, and other things that I
> haven't thought of.

yup, been there done that. So when I get the ISDN dollars .... the arguements will
start again I'm sure.

I mean if nothing else, it's very wasteful of their IP allocation!!!!. Why use two
addresses, when you can use one!
Certainly, if i have a standalone PC or somesuch that I want on a permanent link, I
suppose it doesnt matter. I use one of their numbers. But not with my own c class.

> The correct answer is that your end of the PPP link should have an
> address in your IP domain.

I'm glad there is someone in the world who doesn't think I'm nuts. :-)

--
http://www.chalmers.com.au. Publications From China in 24 different languages.
English, French, German, Russian, Arabic, Spanish, Chinese, Burmese, Bengali,