Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:59:16 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, Bob Ney <bney@quiknet.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: interoperability

On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 09:18:06AM -0700, Doug Ambrisko wrote:
> Brooks Davis writes:
> | So far, I haven't been able to get an Aironet card to connect to an
> | access point running with all the security options enabled even with
> | the encryption patches.  I'm not convinced that it should work with
> | them since they are missing the ability to set the transmit key which
> | is required for things to work.  Without that functionality, they aren't
> | going to work on FreeBSD on a network my company security officer will
> | let me deploy.
>
> Huh?  How is the "transmit key" different from the WEP key????
> 	ancontrol -i iface [-v 0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7] -k key (set key)
> 		Note the even number are permanent and the odd are
> 		temporary.  I let you set four keys.  The permanent
> 		key are permanent until you re-write them.

You can set any of the eight WEP keys, but you must also select the one
you will actually use as the transmit key.  See the -T option to
wicontrol.  This is something you can do with the windows key manager.

> The other things needed are:
>         ancontrol -i iface -K 0|1|2|4 (set auth type 2=shared secret)
> 		I just found out the option 4 isn't real and you
> 		can do 3 as well.
>         ancontrol -i iface -W 0|1 (enable WEP)
> 		I just found out 2 is an option as well (with my
> 		old version you can set 2 it just won't tell you the
> 		difference).
> Their programming doc. needs some help.
>
> I've set keys and WEP between 3 Aironet cards.  One, my wife's running
> Windows the other 2 only with the FreeBSD driver.  I don't have time right
> now to do testing with an access point since I won't be at work next week.

I'll do some more debugging today.  I'll try and figure out exactly
which AP options are breaking things.

-- Brooks