Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:09:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Kramer <david@thekramers.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: I hate to bring it up again (spamming)

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, ro0t wrote:
> Well like i said, i thought at first it was someone being a real idiot.
> Which i have no sympathy for. Then the last guy who emailed us enlightened
> me and made me think further of how he could be the victim also. It makes
> much sense. Im not attacking anyone. I just was upset because everything
> that is a good thing nowadays seems to get ruined by a ten year old with too
> much time on his hands. Anyhow im done discussing this its bull*hit. Anybody
> need help on _FreeBSD_ =] And i apologize for jumping the gun, without fully
> thinking out the situation.

A coupla things.

-You posted easily six or so messages today complaining about the guy.
How is that helping your fellow FreeBSD user?

-It looks to me like you are taking messages that people have sent you in
private (based on the header and the lack of the original post showing up
on the list) and responding on the list, complete with the private mail
contents.  This is a blatant netiquette violation.  If someone sent you
something in private, it should stay that way.

-"Never attribute to malice that which can more easily be attributed to
incompetence" (unknown).  Edwin Renders is clearly a newbie at best, and a
luser at worst.  Either way, he probably doesn't check his mail more than
a few times a week.  He could be sipping pina coladas by the poolside
ignorant that all this is happening because he's got cablemodem or DSL
access, and his machine is always connected whether he's there or not.

-Even if he was doing it on purpose, responding to someone like that just
makes them do it more.

As a side comment, even without Edwin, I've never been on a technical list
that got so much spam.

DDDD   David Kramer                           http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  "I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and
DK KD  in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks."
DDDD                                                  -Joe E. Lewis