Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 1998 20:23:29 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 7895?

In article <199808170131.LAA10294@cain.gsoft.com.au> you wrote:
>> > You need to get the CAM patches from ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/C
>> > the 7895 chips to work.
>> Yes, with CAM these chips work flawlessly.
> Hmm.. OK.. I get the following when I boot up tho ->
> ahc0 <Adaptec aic7895 Ultra SCSI adapter> rev 4 int a irq 10 on pci0:14:0
> ahc0: Illegal cable configuration!!. Only two connectors on the adapter may be used at a time!ahc0: aic7895 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/255 SCBs
> ahc1 <Adaptec aic7895 Ultra SCSI adapter> rev 4 int b irq 10 on pci0:14:1
> ahc1: Illegal cable configuration!!. Only two connectors on the adapter may be used at a time!ahc1: aic7895 Wide Channel B, SCSI Id=7, 32/255 SCBs
>
> Which is wrong, since only the first one is used, and it only has a CD-R on
> it using the ultra connector.

Is this controller on the MB?  If so, and it allows you to select
"automatic" termination, set the termination manually.  It seems that
many of the MB manufacturers ship BIOSes with "automatic termination"
as the default, but don't build in the logic on the MB to actually
perform auto-term.  The aic7xxx driver will believe whatever the BIOS
writes to the SEEPROM.  Try setting the termination settings manually.

--
Justin