Date:      Wed, 19 Oct 2011 12:30:39 -0700
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ryan Stone <rysto32@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Rozhuk.IM@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: ether_demux does not handle frames with embedded vlan tags

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 07:36, Ryan Stone <rysto32@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/10/19 =C2=A0<rozhuk.im@gmail.com>:
>> This may be a wrong configuration or QinQ: packet may have M_VLAN tag is
>> set and still vlan-tagged (ether_type =3D VLAN)
>
> It is not QinQ in my case. =C2=A0The interface that the upper hook export=
> is that you send it a valid ethernet frame and it passes that frame up
> the stack. =C2=A0A vlan-tagged frame is a valid frame so I don't see why =
it
> should not be handled correctly.

Why should the requirements for the Netgraph path be any different to
the non-Netgraph path?  If drivers must ensure that frames that reach
ether_demux have had their VLAN tags stripped, so should Netgraph
things that act like drivers.  So why don't you move that logic into
ether_demux from the ether_input path, or have Netgraph use the
ether_input path?