Date:      Sat, 07 Aug 1999 21:06:18 -0700
From:      Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   netatalk-1.4b2 and FreeBSD-3.2

I'm trying to get netatalk-1.4b2 to work under FreeBSD-3.2 and not
having much luck.  I installed the version from the "packages" area
under "3.2-RELEASE" and wrote my own atalkd.conf file as:

ep0 -phase 2

when I run "atalkd -d -f atalkd.conf" I get:

lo0 -phase 2 -net 0 -addr 0.0 -caddr 0.0
ep0 -phase 2 -net 65280-65534 -addr 0.0 -caddr 65280.0

which is definitely the wrong network number and doesn't talk to the
other systems on my net.

I then configured atalkd.conf as:

ep0 -phase 2 -net 21734-21734

(rebooted to clear everything) and ran it again.  This time it says
it's configuring the correct network number, and "netstat -a" even
reports the correct appletalk network numbers, but when I try to ping
the system (using a cisco router to do an appletalk ping), it doesn't
respond.  Then I noticed that "ifconfig -a" reports:

        atalk 21734.119 range 0-65534 phase 2 broadcast 0.255

which seems wrong as well.

I even went to ftp'ing the sources, applying the FreeBSD patches, and
still get the same result.

I noticed that "netatalk.h" in my sys/compile/... diretory said:
#define NNETATALK 0

but when I defined:
pseudo-device	netatalk	2

It now says:
#define NNETATALK 2

but that didn't help the situation.

Anyone else seeing this type of problem?  It always worked just fine
under 3.1 and before.

/raj