Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 12:10:00 GMT
From:      Joachim.Wunder@lrz-muenchen.de (Joachim Wunder)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NDBM incompatibilities between Perl 5.004 and C - Help!

Hi!

First of all I thought this is a Perl problem, so I consulted the appripriate
newsgroups. But people told me that this has to be a FreeBSD problem:

I installed Perl 5.004 out of the ports section and am trying to create a NDBM
database (read/write) which I wanna read under C afterwards.

The problem: Perl creates it like `test.db´ (1 File) and C with #include
             <ndbm.h> expects it to be in 2 Files, like `test.pag´ and
             `test.dir´.

People are telling me that I need re-install Perl so that both Perl and C will
use the same system call. They claim that both NDBMs are for sure compatible!

Please, I have FreeBSD 2.2.1, could anyone enlighten me?
I am working on a bigger project with it (diploma thesis), and I am stuck in the
middle. :(

Thanks for ANY hint,
Joachim
--