Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:02:24 +0200
From:      F.Xavier Noria <fxn@retemail.es>
To:        Pascal Giannakakis <CapM@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Oracle 8 clients on FreeBSD?

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 11:41:24 +0200 (MEST)
Pascal Giannakakis <CapM@gmx.net> wrote:

: does anybody of you use Oracle 8 in a production-env? I'm so sick of my
: SuSE-Linux workstation here at work, i could throw this crap out of the window...
: I want to install FreeBSD, however, i need Oracle 8 clients. Will it work
: without problems, if i follow the instructiuons in the handbook?

As for the clients, I uncompressed a Linux tarball under /home/oracle
and worked fine out of the box, which means here that sqlplus could
connect to a remote database.

Take into account, however, that FreeBSD native executables cannot use
Linux libraries and there is no OCI library for FreeBSD.  So if you are
going to need to write in that machine, say, a Perl program that has to
use the database you'll have a hard time.  I installed Red Hat's perl
but couldn't build DBD::Oracle.  I needed to switch to Debian at work
because of that.

-- fxn