Date:      	Sun, 20 Sep 1998 14:05:12 -0400
From:      David Holland <dholland@cs.toronto.edu>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        peter@netplex.com.au, jabley@clear.co.nz, dholland@cs.toronto.edu, freebsd@xaa.iae.nl, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF ldconfig

 > Right now, it's possbile to link against a shared library that
 > requires a symbol from anothe shared library, and not get any
 > missing symbol warnings during link phase.  This has bit me
 > on the butt more than once, especially with libraries with
 > promiscuous symbol reference in other libraries (ie: libraries
 > that know too much about each other).

You can also, I think, inadvertently create a shared library that
requires nonexistent symbols and not get any warnings until run-time.
Which (I think) amounts to the same problem, because the library
requiring a symbol from another library should have been linked
against that library to create a DT_NEEDED entry. I think.

There's a linker option to use when building libraries that
eliminates this problem. In my opinion, it should be the default, but
it's not, because that's not how Solaris does it or some crap like
that.

--
   - David A. Holland             | (please continue to send non-list mail to
     dholland@cs.utoronto.ca      | dholland@hcs.harvard.edu. yes, I moved.)