Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 18:55:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Hardware-advice requested: cables

Hi,

this is not a genuine FreeBSD-question but there seem to
many experienced networkers on this list.

In our school we are trying to set up a classroom-network
like this:
In each classroom there is a fast-ethernet connection to a
central server/gateway connection. Up to five or six
Computers can be moved into the room, when they are needed
and can be plugged into our lan via a hub.

The problem is that fast-ethernet cables seem to be very
sensitive. They break as soon as one looks too hard
at them. Not to say what would happen, when our
pupils/students tried to plug them themselves.
What sort of cables/plugs can we use for this purpose?

What does this have to do with FreeBSD?
Now, our chief-administrator allowed me a 5Gig-partition on
each Win2k-machine to "play around" with some kind of UNIX
(registered trademark  :-) ) . And perhaps I am allowed a
samba-server one day...
But first I have to get this project working.

Thanx for your help.

Uli.