Date:      Fri, 29 Jul 2005 11:54:43 +0930
From:      Ian Moore <ian.moore@hamcoll.sa.edu.au>
To:        Questions Free BSD <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Getting session details from a dump tape

Hi,
I've done a level 0 dump of a server which is spanned over several
tapes. Somehow, when I was labelling the tapes, I did something wrong
and have an extra tape in there. I'm wondering if there is some way to
find out what is on the tapes? I know I could do an ls to look at the
files, but that won't really tell me what dump level it was and when it
was dumped.

Things I've tried:
1. On the first tape, I can just run
#restore -i
#what
and that gives me the info I need for that tape, however, when I do the
same for the next tape, it just says it's not the first tape of the set.

2. Try to read from /dev/sa0 directly:
#head /dev/sa0

That didn't give any output, except in the log file, where is says:
10240-byte tape record bigger than supplied buffer.

Cheers,
--
Ian