Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:47:06 +1100 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Sue=20Blake?= <aunty_sue@yahoo.com.au>
To:        Sue Blake <aunty_sue@yahoo.com.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq Evo install problems

Nobody's answered yet so I'll have a go.

 --- Sue Blake <aunty_sue@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> I'm half way through working around the problems trying to
> install FreeBSD on a new Compaq Evo desktop.
> The only install CD I have is 4.6-RELEASE, but these problems
> don't seem to be version-specific.
>
> Here is where I'm up to, and hopefully someone can point me closer
> to completion. Please excuse only partial information. I have very
> limited access through the firewall, no GUI. Output from the new
> machine can only be transferred to this email via the pencil device
> if necessary.
>
> At first, the install CD wouldn't boot at all, saying "BTX halted".
> A search of the archives told me to disable DMA in the BIOS, or
> downgrade to an earlier BIOS. I did the former and completed the
> basic installation and reboot without drama.
>
> Now I have to do something about the two devices that come up
> as "unknown" in dmesg: audio and ethernet.
> pci0: <unknown card>(vendor=0x8086, dev=0x24c5) at 31.5 irq 5
> pci5: <unknown card>(vendor=0x8086, dev=0x103b) at 8.0 irq 5
> The important one is pci5.
>
> Again a mail archive search showed someone had a similar problem,
> used pciconf -l and looked up /usr/share/misc/pci_vendors to
> investigate, then suggested "Is it enough to add 0x103b to the
> ident table?". He did, and apparently it worked fine.
>
> That seems to be what I need to do, and the same 0x103b turns out
> appropriate for my device. I have two questions:
>
>   What/where is the ident table, and unless it's obvious, how do I
>   put the number in?

After grepping my fingers to the bone, I found a file that not
only talked about an ident table, but also looked relevant, at
 /usr/src/sys/dev/fxp/if_fxp.c
Now don't ask me what that file is about or what I did, because
I'm not sure and I don't claim it's right. I just found some
lines that related to other models and added similar info
substituting the words and numbers that I'd picked up from
things like 'dmesg | grep unknown' and 'pciconf -lv'. It was
a bit like solving one of those find-the-pattern puzzles.
Rebuilt the kernel. Reboot. Hey, I'm networked!

Now I can upgrade from 4.6-RELEASE to something more recent,
maybe even find a version of X that understands the video.

>   If the nic effort is successful, can I follow similar steps
>   to try to get sound going?

Well, not in that same file I don't think, it looks like it's
only about the ethernet interface. I did find a file in another
directory  that looked like it too was simply lacking info about
my hardware related to sound support, but at this point it's all
getting way too guessy to proceed.

Of course if anyone who reads this has suggestions re explaining
the hardware to X and sound, I'd love to hear from you! :-)

But if like me you can't get started with your Compaq Evo, perhaps
what I've related above will help some.

- Exchange IMs with Messenger friends on your Telstra or Vodafone mobile phone.