Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 11:50:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall

Steve Kargl writes:
[deletia]

 > g77 can be run in a manner that is fairly strict to the deprecated
 > Fortran 77 standard.  There are, however, well documented extensions
 > in g77 that move g77 towards a standard conforming Fortran 90/95 compiler.
 > g77 includes libU77 which permits a Fortran program to access the
 > environment (e.g., getargs(), time(), date(), secnds(), subroutines).

Yeah, that's important, too, but since I primarily work with
fairly standard Unix f77 programs, it is pretty transparent.

 [deleted] Let me point out that people
 > > using this compiler are not likely to be as knowledgable as your
 > > ordinary "hackers" subscriber.

This sentence is characteristic of most academic environments
that are not computer science departments, I think.  Most of the
people around here do well to know what Unix is, nevermind being
sufficiently well versed to handle their path correctly.  If they
know more than a minimal amount of how to work with Unix, their
experience is likely to be with SGIs or Crays.  Of course these
people aren't likely to be compiling their own programs.  They
just come to me and say "Do it for me!" :)

[more deleted]

[how to use egcs version of g77 deleted]

I guess I could always do something like this:

mv /usr/local/bin/g77 /usr/local/bin/g77.exe
cat > /usr/local/bin/g77
#!/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
export PATH
g77.exe $*
^D

I've resisted such hacks because they are typical of VMS software
ported to Unix with the absolute least amount of effort
necessary.  OK, I'll shut up. (mutter, mutter, mutter, ;-)

--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790