Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 19:49:25 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        avalon@advicom.net (Avalon Books)
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I4B support for US ISDN?

>From the keyboard of Avalon Books:

> > Passive ISDN cards are dirt cheap over here, no second device is needed
> > which consumes (more) power (than just a passive ISDN card in your box)
> > and ISDN is a bit more than just doing IP over it here, something which
> > is not possible at that extent with a TA or a router. And a passive ISDN
> > card is _much_ more flexible than a router or TA ever could be: its much
> > better suited to serve my play instinct ;-)
>
>    More flexible? Hm... I would be interested in hearing a detailed
> explanation for that.

Its simple: a TA or router allows you to do only that things, the TA or
router was designed to let you do. A passive ISDN card allows you to do
everything ISDN allows you to do.

Sidenote: there is an exception to what i just said. I know of one manu-
facturer of ISDN routers who built a thing called "remote CAPI" into their
routers, which allows you to access the ISDN by issuing CAPI messages over
IP. If you want to know what CAPI is, look at www.capi.org. In case i were
in the situation i was, when i started ISDN driver writing under FreeBSD,
today, i would just buy such a device and done.

> > Hopefully - and the code is already there - i4b will run with the existing
> > PPP code, although i don't see the need: bonding two B-channels together
> > does not make much sense here.
>
>    Why not?

Its too expensive (for me!) within the current pricing scheme over here, now
forgive me that i don't explain our current pricing ... ;-)

> transfers. The costs of using ISDN for voice communications are bad
> enough without intentionally makeing it worse for myself.

And the strange thing happening here is, that ISDN (voice) communication
is cheaper than analog voice communication since the beginning of this
year :-)

The conditions under which it pays to use ISDN and/or to use features
ISDN is able to provide are just _totally_ different in Europe and the US.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 559747-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 559747-77