Date:      Fri, 7 Oct 2005 07:31:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nick Johnson <freebsd@spatula.net>
To:        Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jdk15 and SMP: are libmap.conf hacks needed on FreeBSD 5.4 and higher (both i386 and amd64)?

> It wasn't obvious from the PRs, so I wanted to ask: did you actually remove
> the compiler optimizations and rebuild the system+jdk without them? They are
> a usual suspect for such heisenbugs.

I actually built everything first without any compiler optimizations, and
rebuilt later with them.  It didn't seem to make any difference.

> If it is of any comfort, I have been using jdk14 on RELENG_5 and RELENG_6 on
> various systems (albeit not very highly loaded) without any issues for many
> months. I never even had any problems from jdk15 for about a month now,
> unlike some of my colleagues who are using 1.5 on Linux. I also use
> PostgreSQL all the time and have never encountered the issue on the second PR
> (although the app runs on JBoss, not Resin).

The second issue mysteriously went away on its own, which I find a bit
troubling.  It may have been related to other changes that were happening
on the machine at the time, but since I haven't been able to duplicate it,
it's impossible to tell for sure what the culprit was.

    Nick