Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2000 17:40:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        mike@hyperreal.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't chflags/mv current kernel

> # make install
> chflags noschg /kernel
> chflags: /kernel: Operation not permitted
> *** Error code 1 (ignored)
> mv /kernel /kernel.old
> mv: rename /kernel to /kernel.old: Operation not permitted
> *** Error code 1
>
> What is this a symptom of?

securelevel >= 1.  See init(8) for details.

> It's not covered in the Handbook and I have never had it happen before.
> The default kernel was removed just fine. Doesn't matter if I'm in
> single-user mode or not; the kernel is untouchable.

How did you get to single user mode?  Did you get there by booting the
kernel with the -s flag, or by using shutdown?  In case of the former,
it should work.  In case of the latter, you should try the former.

For the sake of the archives, setting kern_securelevel to -1 in
/etc/rc.conf should also work if you can't get to single user mode (no
console access).  Just remember to change it back when you're done.

Hope this helps

--
Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Finger dima@unixfreak.org for my public PGP key.

If only God would give me some clear sign!  Like making a large deposit
in my name at a Swiss bank.