Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 02:06:02 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: zsh alias question

On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 02:54:37PM +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> >I used vipw and added the home directory at the end of the `toor' line.
> >
> >    toor:*:0:0:Bourne-again Superuser:/root:/bin/sh
>
> So does toor need a home directory in order to have a different
> password from root?  At this point, when i su or login as toor, when
> i run passwd or chsh, it references root.

I have them both pointing at /root, as you can see from:

	% head -2 /etc/passwd
	root:*:0:0:Superuser:/root:/bin/csh
	toor:*:0:0:Bourne-again Superuser:/root:/usr/local/bin/bash

They can have the same home directory.  The files they will be using
will be the same, except for the shell startup scripts.  But each shell
keeps it's startup in a different script, so this is not a problem.

I keep my Bourne shell aliases in /root/.shrc -- the terminal setup and
other stuff needed for login and interactive shells in /root/.profile
-- the Bash specific prompt setup in ~/.bashrc (which calls .profile to
do the rest of the work), and nothing in /root/.bash_profile ;)

The /root/.cshrc and /root/.login files are the stock versions provided
with my release of FreeBSD (3.4-STABLE).

About the `zsh/su -m' question, I don't really know why this happens.

Ciao.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
"Don't let your schooling interfere with your education." [Mark Twain]