Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 22:23:33 +1000 (E. Australia Standard Time)
From:      Doug Young <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SSL timeout / error 408

I've compiled & installed the current snapshot version of ntop & have a
few "features" to sort out.

I'm getting ntop started OK in either / or / both regular webmode / SSL
mode

When I point a browser at the correct URL" http://<remote_host>:3000",
everything appears to work fine

When I point the browser at the correct SSL address "https://<remote_host>:3001"
I get "Error 408 The request was timed-out"

I don't believe the problem is with Open SSL since Webmin works perfectly
on the same machine at "https://<remote_host>:10000"

A different ntop issue on which I'd appreciate advice is that of configuring
password access control. The earlier versions of ntop used a ".ntop" file in
home directories to limit access, however that idea was apparently dropped
later & replaced by something different ... (presumably in the interests
of security) but that has not been documented.

Is there a practical way to implement some form of password access
control or user IP address access control to either

http://<remote_host>:3000  or

https://<remote_host>:3001 ??