Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 13:12:59 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why not DNS (was: nfs startup - perhaps it is a problem)

On Sun, Sep 14, 1997 at 09:40:03PM -0600, Nate Williams wrote:
> Greg Lehey writes:
>> If anybody can give me any reasons for using /etc/hosts, I'm sure I
>> can refute them.
>
> - The box *IS* the primary DNS box for my network, and hence can't
>   resolve addresses at bootup until after DNS is running, but needs some
>   resolution in other parts of the system for starting up things until
>   DNS gets running.

Interesting.  What?  I run a name server without /etc/hosts, and I
don't have any problems.  I contend that anything which requires
/etc/hosts to be present is broken.

> - The box is on a private home network made up of two hosts, and these
>   machines need to talk to each other at times.  Setting up a DNS server
>   is a waste of resources for a private network.

Why?  What makes you think it's slower than /etc/hosts?

> - The machine in question is using a slow and/or part-time network
>   connection, and while doing 'local' work with sockets and such
>   (programming, etc...) doesn't need to have the link up, and/or doesn't
>   need to be using bandwidth usable for other processes.

All the more reason to run a name server.

> Could I run DNS and solve some of my problems?  Of course, but it'd be
> like hammering nails with a sledge-hammer.  It gets the job done, but
> it's way overkill.

I think you're overestimating the effort required.

Greg