Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 15:37:27 -0400
From:      "Mike M." <mikem@wmis.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.6-PRERELASE fxp alias woes

--=====================_271693718==_.ALT

I agree.

And thanks everyone for your fast, and friendly responses (even though I didn't
RTFM enough!!!!!)  Changed the netmask and the system comes online fine now,
just like new (err, like old?? ;-).

I'll be checking UPDATING and README more thoroughly before future upgrades.

Thanks again

Mike

At 03:31 PM 5/13/2002, Michael Sierchio wrote:
>Chris Faulhaber wrote:
>
>>Proper alias netmasks are now enforced.  See the ifconfig(8)
>>man page for the proper format:
>>      alias   Establish an additional network address for this
>> interface.  This
>>              is sometimes useful when changing network numbers, and one
>> wishes
>>              to accept packets addressed to the old interface.  If the
>> address
>>              is on the same subnet as the first network address for this
>>              interface, a netmask of 0xffffffff has to be specified.
>

>Unfortunate language, though.  It would be better, I suggest, if we
>followed something like the IETF guidelines on the use of key words
>such as MAY, MUST, SHALL, etc.
>
>Alias addresses on the same subnet as the primary network address
>for the interface MUST use a netmask of 0xffffffff (255.255.255.255)

--=====================_271693718==_.ALT

I agree.<br><br>
(even though I didn't<br>
RTFM enough!!!!!)&nbsp; Changed the netmask and the system comes online
fine now,<br>
just like new (err, like old?? ;-).<br><br>
I'll be checking UPDATING and README more thoroughly before future
upgrades.<br><br>
Thanks again<br><br>
Mike<br><br>
At 03:31 PM 5/13/2002, Michael Sierchio wrote:<br>
enforced.&nbsp; See the ifconfig(8)<br>
man page for the proper format:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; alias&nbsp;&nbsp; Establish an additional
network address for this interface.&nbsp; This<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
is sometimes useful when changing network numbers, and one wishes<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
to accept packets addressed to the old interface.&nbsp; If the
address<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
is on the same subnet as the first network address for this<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
interface, a netmask of 0xffffffff has to be specified.<br>
Unfortunate language, though.&nbsp; It would be better, I suggest, if
we<br>
followed something like the IETF guidelines on the use of key words<br>
such as MAY, MUST, SHALL, etc.<br><br>
Alias addresses on the same subnet as the primary network address<br>
for the interface MUST use a netmask of 0xffffffff
(255.255.255.255)<br>