Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 08:58:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfilter & pptp & freebsd

(I'm answering this one message and copying the list, rather than
copying the list on *all* the replies.)

An interface mismatch doesn't appear to be the problem; other
transfers go lickety-split.  I can download huge files without
difficulty.

It doesn't appear to be packet loss.  netstat -i doesn't show
anything unusual.

I've pulled all the firewall rules, leaving only a "pass any to any"
and the NAT.  No better.

Also, I've tried a bimap.  No change.

One other thing: according to the little PPTP box on Windows (for what
it's worth), the speed starts off quick.  It just slows down
gradually, until it reaches a dead crawl.  The firewall packet log
seems to agree, although I haven't done a detailed line-by-line
analysis to see how many packets pass at any given second.

Might ipfw/natd work better?  Anyone have any other ideas?

==ml