Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 08:37:42 +1000
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        Joseph Lephan <mystical@houston.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Swap file never get used. period

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 05:15:31PM -0500, Joseph Lephan wrote:
> Upon recently installing FreeBSD, I was aware that i allocated 1
> GB to a swap partition. Now this is fine because that was what i
> wanted, but it seems that when I type in 'top' at console, my swap
> file was reported to at 100%, ie, none of was being used, ever.
> I'm just wondering if this is due to a miscompiling of the kernel,
> or if there should be some modules compiled for virtual memory, or
> if this is just a plain fact of Freebsd. Greatly appreciated. :-P

The 100% you're talking about is the CPU utilisation, not the memory.
Swap space is for memory. So if you run a couple of big programs,
you will see that your free memory gets lower and lower and at a
certain time your swap space will be used.

Edwin
--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org
edwin@mavetju.org    |    Weblog: http://www.mavetju.org/weblog/weblog.php