Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 22:23:50 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Jeff Penn <jeff@jrpenn.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.6 sendmail: No local mailer defined

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 11:53:32AM +0100, Jeff Penn wrote:
> I had a look at /etc/mail/Makefile & noticed the make cf option.
> Running this created jeff@jrpenn.demon.co.uk with .mc & cf
> extensions.  Do I only need to rename these files to create an
> updated sendmail.cf?, or do I only need to rename freebsd.cf?
> (apologies for not being brave enough to wade through the sendmail
> documentation).

Read the Makefile a bit closer... All you need to do is type:

make install

and the newly created .cf files will be renamed ready for use. Then
type:

make restart

and sendmail will be restarted using your new files.

> Should sendmail.cf be updated when running a new version of sendmail
> to take advantage of new features?.

Generally yes.  Note that mergemaster will build new .cf files from
your .mc files and prompt you to install them appropriately.

	Matthew

PS.  Does your `hostname' command really return
'jeff@jrpenn.demon.co.uk'?  That's a bit weird.  You might find
changing that to just 'jrpenn.demon.co.uk' will increase your sanity
quotient a bit.

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK