Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:23:30 -0400
From:      Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading

At 10:45 08/25/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a question on upgrading Freebsd.  I tried it once in vain and had
>to reinstall everything.
>
>I am running FreeBSD3.2 w/PAO3.2 on a laptop. My first question is can I
>upgrade to 4.0 without upgrading PAO (PAO page says that
>there will no 4.0 PAO!) or upgrading latest PAO (3.5):  will that affect
>the system?
>
>My second question is if anyone has tried to use the /stand/sysinstall
>method of upgrade - I tried that and all hell broke loose
>(luckily I had backups).  So I reinstalled the OS from scratch, this time
>with 3.3R and PAO3.3 but 1)  NFS programs hung on
>rcp.statd 2) Openssh2 does not work and Openssh1.2.1 was not available so
>I restored all partitions from my backup, thereby putting
>the system back to the original state.
>
>Could someone please tell me what needs to be done to upgrade (with PAO in
>mind)?

PAO was integrated into 4.x I believe, which is why there is no PAO
distribution for those versions of FreeBSD.  You should not need it to get
all of your laptop stuff working.

That said, I am still running 3.4-R + PAO on my laptop because installing
4.X panics on the 2nd disk.. thankfully the install failed before I get the
chance to do a newfs or anything like that, so going back was as simple as
taking the floppy out and rebooting. :)