Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:43:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Vanh Phom <vphom@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBsd with X prob

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Vanh Phom wrote:

> After spending the last couple days installing Freebsd. I managed to get
> X up bare. Apparently the X server is up with a blank screen and no way
> to shut it down. I'm trying to run kdm,sometime it would work if I cd to
> /usr/local/bin and type kdm. Otherwise I got a blank screen.
> Any help would be appreciated.

By blank screen, you mean the crosshatch pattern with the X cursor?

The normal way to start X up is using 'startx'. This arranges for a
~/.xinitrc script to run to start your window manager, or will start up a
basic twm session if that file is not present.

Also, if you need it, the X server kill key is Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org