Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 2002 17:28:47 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Lord Raiden <dragoncrest@voyager.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Event Trigger

In the last episode (Oct 06), Lord Raiden said:
> 	Hi.  I'm looking for a simple way to implement a trap and
> trigger so to speak.  I'm wanting to setup the system so that the
> moment it detects a certain event in the system, it immediately
> executes another script or program to do something else, but not
> before, not after.  I thought about Cron, but the thing is, I don't
> know when these events will happen so since they're so random, I need
> something to identify them then immediately run another script or
> program at that exact moment.  Any suggestions?

It depends on what the event is.  With kqueue, you can be notified when
a file is changed or a process exits, and you can use those two events
to detect just about anything.  For example, if you're talking FTP
uploads, you can ask to be notified whenever /var/log/xferlog (or
whatever file your ftpd uses to log transfers) changes, then process
any files that were added since the last time your scanner looked at
the logfile.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com