Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:25:11 -0500
From:      Neil W Rickert <sendmail+rickert@Sendmail.ORG>
To:        "Dave Wilson" <davew@sai.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, sendmail-questions@sendmail.org
Subject:   Re: Redelivering delivered mail

"Dave Wilson" <davew@sai.co.za> wrote:

>We are in the process of moving all our mail accounts (800 accounts) off a
>FreeBSD4.0 box to a new mailserver.
>Is there a way to redeliver the mail that has already been written to
>/var/mail/$user ?
>In other words user@mydomain.com has all his mail waiting in /var/mail/user
>to be collected, now what we want to do is change the MX for mydomain.com
>and point it to the new mail server and somehow forward all his mail from
>/var/mail/user to the new mail server ?
>Obviously we could log in as each user, retrieve his/her mail and then
>forward it but that would be a bit heavy for 800 accounts ;-)

Unless the mailbox format for the new system is badly incompatible,
why not just copy the directory over.  Or use 'rdist', or

cd /var
tar cf - mail | rsh newsystem "cd /var ; tar xpf -"

In any case, this is not a sendmail problem.

If you really want to remail all of those messages, there are probably
ways of doing it with 'formail', a utility that comes with 'procmail'.

 -NWR