Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 16:46:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sean Noonan <snoonan@cx952600-a.fed1.sdca.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        noonans@home.com
Subject:   forcing make to use socks

Greetings list:

When using 'make' in /usr/ports/foo/bar, the port is never found locally
and is always fetched from either a ftp or www server.  However, I
always have to punch a temporary whole in my firewall to allow the traffic
through.  Is there a better way, other than allowing all ftp and www
traffic from all sources in permanently?

Perhaps telling make to use a socks4 or socks5 proxy?  I didn't see a
command-line switch browsing man make, but it just seems to me that
Capt. Kirk and I can't be the only ones who don't want to lower our
shields just to use the transporter. ;-)

Both firewall and client are running 3.4-RELEASE, firewall is IPFW.

TIA,

-Sean Noonan
noonans@home.com