Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:45:08 +0200
From:      Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
To:        Hellmuth Michaelis <hm@hcs.de>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with sppp setup

On Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 08:55:35AM +0100, Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:
> >From the keyboard of Anatoly Vorobey:
>
> > Here's the error that 'ispppcontrol isp0' gives me:
> >
> > ispppcontrol: SIOCGIFGENERIC(SPPPIOGDEFS): Invalid argument
>
> The size of the data structure for the ioctl differs between ispppcontrol
> and what the kernel expects. In other words: you are using a kernel
> and a ispppcontrol utility which were compiled from different sources.

Thanks a lot! That helped. I realized that I'd made a silly mistake
in fixing a header problem when compiling i4b 0.95.

The header problem was that some source files of isdnd did not include
<sys/param.h> and <sys/mbuf.h>. I specifically remember that about
rc_config.h . It includes them conditionally only for FreeBSD 3.x, but
on my FreeBSD 4.0 400017 they were also needed by i4b_isppp.h and weren't
included by any other header files. Thus make failed on rc_config.c
(gcc didn't recognize MLEN).

Another something which seems a bug that I discovered is that the handling
of ppp- attributes in isdnd.rc is mixed up. The documentation states
that send-auth, send-name, send-secret are used for *my* authentication
which is sent to *remote*, and expect-auth,name,secret are used for
*remote*'s authentication sent to us. However, in the source (rc_config.c,
set_isppp_auth()) this is done exactly backwards: expect_* fields to
myauth.* fields, and send_* fields to hisauth.* fields. This is very
confusing.

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mellon@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/