Date:      24 Oct 2002 10:48:24 -0500
From:      "Kirk R. Wythers" <kwythers@umn.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   housecleaning and portupgrade question

I'm doing a little house cleaning and I's appreciate some advice. I'm
looking at a machine that (in the past) has been upgraded with several
methods. Some of which have left old versions of application x on the
machine. For example:

[kwythers@lorax]~$ pkg_version -v
a2dev-1.2                           =   up-to-date with port
a2ps-letter-4.13_1                  =   up-to-date with port
aalib-1.4.r5                        <   needs updating (port has
1.4.r5_1)
aalib-1.4.r5_1                      =   up-to-date with port
acroread-5.06_1                     =   up-to-date with port
acroread4-4.05         		    =   up-to-date with port
autoconf-2.53                       <   needs updating (port has 2.53_1)
autoconf213-2.13.000227_1           <   needs updating (port has
2.13.000227_4)
automake-1.5,1                      =   up-to-date with port
automake14-1.4.5                    <   needs updating (port has
1.4.5_5)

It looks to me like there is no reason for both aalib-1.4.r5 and
aalib-1.4.r5_1. Seems that portupgrade does not cause this problem and
is the prefered upgrade method

There are numerous examples of this issue. My question is: what is the
recommended way to delete an old version application x. This assumes of
course that you are sure that it is not depended upon by some other app.

Thanks,

Kirk