Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 09:56:44 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        zicc@bellatlantic.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Passwords

> Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 21:53:55 -0400
> From: Chad Ziccardi <zicc@bellatlantic.net>
> Subject: FreeBSD Passwords
>
> Hello,
>
>         I'm the process of adding new boxes, and went with freebsd over linux on
> the new ones. My question is how can I convert shadow+md5 password files
> from linux (RH 6.1 I believe), to freebsd's format?  I'm not running nis,
> nor do I plan to.

FreeBSD will automatically recognize and use md5 passwords if they are
in the password file.  New accounts will use DES by default if you have
DES installed.  There is some way to force the new accounts to use MD5,
but I don't remember it.  Look in the Handbook or search the mail archive
for info if you want everyone to have MD5 passwords.

If the Linux shadow password file and the FreeBSD master.passwd have the
same format, AND your /etc/group files match, just move the shadow
password
file to FreeBSD and run pwd_mkdb (I think that's it) to update all of the
other password files.

Read man 5 passwd for more info, including a sample script for converting
password file formats.

-- Bob