Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 11:29:44 -0500
From:      "Jonathan Fosburgh" <fosburgh@flash.net>
To:        <Mark.Hummel@hurlburt.af.mil>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: startup Kde??

----- Original Message -----
From: <Mark.Hummel@hurlburt.af.mil>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2000 11:21 AM

> I've followed these instructions and yet, my system is still not working.
> still need to type startx to get KDE up. Any ideas?  I've read the
handbook,
> but was unable to find any specific instructions on how to setup my system
> to automatically load KDE on bootup.
>
> Mark

No matter what system you use (although there is some stuff going on at Red
Hat that may change this), you have to type startx in order to run KDE or
GNOME or whatever, unless you are using a display manager to manage your
desktop logins. But even if you use kdm (KDE's desktop manager) you still
have to have an

exec startkde

line, or something to that effect, in your .xsession file. So what exactly
are you wanting to do?