Date:      Tue, 8 Jul 2014 23:56:41 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Waitman Gobble <uzimac@da3m0n8t3r.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: postgres9.2/9.3 clash with pkg

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Waitman Gobble <uzimac@da3m0n8t3r.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I notice that many pkgs are dependent upon postgresql client 9.2. I have
> 9.3 on this machine, when I try to install or upgrade packages which are
> linked to 9.2, the process fails. All the errors are about documentation
> files installed in same path.
>
> Simple example.
>
> # pkg install mapnik
> The following 2 packages will be installed:
>         Installing postgresql92-client: 9.2.8_1
>         Installing mapnik: 2.2.0_7
> pkg: WARNING: locally installed postgresql93-client-9.3.4 conflicts on
> /usr/local/share/postgresql/psqlrc.sample with:
>         - postgresql92-client-9.2.8_1
>
> Does anyone know the solution?
>
> Thank you,
>
> --
> Waitman Gobble
> San Jose California USA
> +1.510-830-7975

Packages are built with all dependencies at the time of the release for
which they are built. If you update a dependency locally to a newer
version, you will see this error. I thought I remembered that there was a
way to tell pkg to ignore a dependency, but I can't seem to find it now.

Updates repositories are made available quarterly. You might find
installing the package from the latest quarterly for your version of
FreeBSD might deal with this problem, but likely does not. And, of course
using a different dependency version might bite you with ABI
incompatibilities.

The other option is to build ports using postgresql locally. But if a port
requires a specific version of postgresql, this won't work. (I have not
looked at the ports to see exactly what the dependencies are defined.) I
suspect that this will work, though. Jut can't promise anything.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com