Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:16:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Mills <jmmills@telocity.com>
To:        David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to reset dsl connection

Hi David -

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, David Banning wrote:

> I came in this evening only to find out that my server has been down for
> 3 hours. I kill and restarted my ppp connection which did not solve it.

> I simply powered down the external modem and turned it on again and
> I was back up and running.

> I wonder how this is possible to do through the shell.
> It is easy enough to test the connection and then have it execute a
> script when the connection is down, but I don't know where to go from there.

This is not uncommon for us with our ADSL connection to DirecTV/Telocity
in Atlanta: I probably average around 15 drops/year (a bit more than one
per month).

I have asked our Linux group here (ALE.org) and S.O.P. seems to be an X-10
control on the modem's power, a script to 'ping' some external host every
few minutes to check connectivity, and an X-10 package called 'bottle
rocket' to cycle modem power.

I don't know the FreeBSD equivalent, but I expect there's something for
X-10 control.

Cycling modem power doesn't affect the rest of my LAN, since it's a
straight DSL through a LinkSys router/firewall. Do you have to somehow
restart your 'ppoe'?

DISCLAIMER: I've been to lazy to try this yet.

HTH.

 - John Mills