Date:      Sun, 22 Nov 1998 23:04:31 +1100 (EST)
From:      Jim Mock <jim@phrantic.phear.net>
To:        "M. Kuster" <kuster@sr.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dowloading Linux

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998, M. Kuster wrote:

> Dear FreeBSD provider,
>
> I want to download and install linux on my system. But which one of
> the files do I have to download. Is it possible to download the
> whole bsd in a the form of a zip file?

FreeBSD isn't Linux.  If you're looking for Linux, you're in the wrong
place.  If you want to download FreeBSD, you'll need at least
everything in the bin and manpages directories on ftp.freebsd.org..

ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.7-RELEASE

You'll also need to make yourself a boot floppy.  Get the boot.flp
file from the ftp site above in the floppies directory.  You can get
rawrite.exe (which will write the image to the floppy disk) from the
tools directory.  Follow the install instructions in the handbook
(http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook.html), but _DO NOT_ download
the files from there.. they are for 3.0-RELEASE which you don't want
if you're new to FreeBSD.

Hope this helps,

Jim

: Jim Mock			| [jim@phrantic.phear.net]	:
: Phear Networks		| web: http://www.phear.net/	:
: A franchise of Triax, Inc.	| -----------------------------	:
: Web Site Design & Hosting	| FreeBSD: The Power to Serve	:
: Wagga Wagga, NSW Australia	| http://www.freebsd.org/	: