Date:      Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:11:49 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Workshop won't start; portfolios complaints?

Hi!

A week ago I posted a problem. Now, after some vacation, I'm at it
again, and still Java Workshop won't start. I have got as far as the
splash screen and got a chance to register, but as the registration
process finished, the Java Console popped up with this message:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: sun.jws.util.Platform: method
getExampleDirectory()Ljava/lang/String; not found
	at sun.jws.base.Portfolios.copyProject(Portfolios.java:515)
	at sun.jws.base.Portfolios.createPersonalFolio(Portfolios.java:496)
	at sun.jws.base.Portfolios.<init>(Portfolios.java:120)
	at
sun.jws.env.DocumentControllerImpl.initMasterPortfolios(DocumentControllerImpl.java:58)
	at sun.jws.IDEForwardRefs.forwardRefs(IDEForwardRefs.java:68)
	at
sun.jws.env.DCFactoryImpl.createIDEDocumentController(DCFactoryImpl.java:34)
	at sun.jws.base.Session.createIDEDocumentController(Session.java:271)
	at sun.jws.env.EnvDispatch.dispatch(EnvDispatch.java:93)
	at sun.jws.RegistrationDialog.hide(RegistrationDialog.java:946)
	at sun.jws.RegistrationDialog.run(RegistrationDialog.java:936)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)

Next time I run jws, I get the splash screen and the text saying that
the 30-day trial period will end, and when, but it goes went away after
a short while and this is piped to stderr:

Unable to create initial window.
error: String index out of range: 0
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 0
        at java.lang.String.charAt(String.java)
        at sun.jws.util.FileName.makeAbsolute(FileName.java:117)
        at sun.jws.base.Portfolios.readMaster(Portfolios.java:236)
        at
sun.jws.env.DocumentControllerImpl.initMasterPortfolios(DocumentControllerImpl.java:65)
        at sun.jws.IDEForwardRefs.forwardRefs(IDEForwardRefs.java:68)
        at
sun.jws.env.DCFactoryImpl.createIDEDocumentController(DCFactoryImpl.java:34)
        at
sun.jws.base.Session.createIDEDocumentController(Session.java:271)
        at sun.jws.env.EnvDispatch.dispatch(EnvDispatch.java:93)
        at sun.jws.Main.main(Main.java:279)