Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 16:55:34 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@ad1440.net>
Cc:        Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, jkoshy@FreeBSD.ORG, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Including images in the documentation

On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 04:13:52PM -0700, Sean Kelly wrote:
> Which would depend on a bunch of the XML processing tools, too, since the
> SVG DTD is an XML application, not SGML.  (Which would be fine by me ...
> I've got plenty of disk space, and plenty of XML tools installed already.
> :-)

It's a way's off, but we'll almost certaintly convert for SGML to XML
someday for the simple reason that DocBook is doing that.  I don't think
it would be unreasionale to have a NO_IMAGES make variable to allow
people do build docs with the images stripped out (and thus without the
SVG tools).  I don't think we'll be embeding ASCII art version of raster
images in the text format of the docs anyway.  (The idea of a text copy
of the handbook with an ASCII picture of Nik doing his Peter Norton
impression is just a weird image. ;-)

> As for EPS as the superformat ... well, I like the simplicity of having a
> single storage format, but it's not always plain text, if I recall
> correctly.  PostScript Level 2 (and up) allows bitmap images in an EPS file
> to be encoded using a variety of different mechanisms, some of the binary
> (right?).

Raster and vector data have so little in common that is seems like a
very bad idea to try to have a single representation.  Vector data seems
to be a good fit for a human editable text system like SVG, but raster
data just begs for a compressed, packed binary format like PNG.

-- Brooks