Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2001 12:04:23 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk1.3.1 awt exception, plugin, OpenJIT

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 09:59:33PM -0400, Mikhail Kruk wrote:
> OK, I've got a lot of questions :)
> I've just build jdk1.3.1 and it went very smoothly (after I realized that
> Greg is not kidding about using gtar, not tar :)

I think pax also works, but the standard FreeBSD tar definitely won't :).

> * plugin
> Now it would be very good to see plugin working... I don't know if Greg
> had any success with making Mozilla use it, but I'd be happy to at least
> try beta testing it. Are the patches for plugin available somewhere?

The plugin is a work in progress.  Hopefully there will be some patches
available soon.

> * awt exception -- most likely caused by the font message in the beginning
> It's probably not important but I decided to let you know anyways. The
> strange thing is that it doesn't happen consistently, i.e. it happens a
> lot, but in different parts of code and apparently only once per program
> execution.
>
> I'll try to put jdk1.3.1 in our semi-production non-critical enironment
> and will see how it behaves...
>
> Warning: Cannot convert 	string
> "-b&h-lucidasans-medium-r-normal-sans-*-140-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct

We probably need some fine tuning of the font files.  At the moment they
are just copies of the Linux versions.  Thanks for the error message,
there may be something deeper happening, although I've not seen this
myself.  I think Fuyuhiko Maruyama has seen some problems with XIM
though, maybe he would like to comment?

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Phone : (801) 765 1887