Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:51:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        Lorenzo VICISANO <L.Vicisano@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & laptop: state of the art

>I'm a new freebsd-over-laptop user (actually new laptop user!),
>currently running 2.2.2+PAO on a thinkpad 560. I'm happy with all the
>power management issues, but not as happy with pccard (sportster modem
>hangs the machine when going in power saving and 3C589D do the same
>when I unplug it `hot').

A lot of changes went into the laptop support after 2.2.5 was released.  I
don't know how well PAO works, but 2.2-STABLE is working really well on my
laptop now.  (Also a TP560.)

>As I'm thinking of upgrading to 2.2.5, my question is: is 2.2.5 supposed
>to supersede PAO stuff or not? And how is it doing?

The good stuff isn't in 2.2.5.  :-(  If you want the stuff that works,
you'd need to upgrade to 2.2-STABLE.  If I were going to do that I'd use a
boot floppy from releng22.freebsd.org.

Good luck,

Brian