Date:      Sat, 23 Oct 1999 14:29:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Christoph Sold <cs@cheasy.de>
Cc:        Kent Boortz <kent@erlang.ericsson.se>, FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound applications for FreeBSD?

On Sat, 23 Oct 1999, Christoph Sold wrote:

> Kent Boortz writes:
>  > I have some old casettes with live music and want to transfer it to
>  > audio CD and to MP3 files.
>  >
>  > What free FreeBSD applications are you using to
>  >
>  > [snip]
>  >         convert to MP3 files?
>
> Bladeenc. Slow, but does neither crash nor produce artifacts in it's
> output. It's in the ports.

I didn't see the original message, but you might want to look into the
beta version of LAME at

	http://www.sulaco.org/mp3/

From what I've heard, Bladeenc is an optimized version of the ISO demo
distribution.  LAME started off with the same base, but has fixed bugs in
the ISO demo code, and improved the psychoacoustic modeling.  The quality
has been improving.  I do no recommend the last "stable" release (3.13)
because more recent versions have fixed some serious bugs.

Newer versions of gogo (not the version in the ports) are also based on
LAME.