Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 21:14:16 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp slow to connect

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 10:59:31PM -0600, Steve Price wrote:

> I don't know if I can.  This is for a friend of mine who has a
> hosting company for a little over 600 domains now.  He was previously
> using Linux and we just moved all of his stuff over to a handful
> of FreeBSD boxes on a much fatter pipe.  A bunch of the customers
> are now complaining about the slow connection times with ftp on
> the FreeBSD boxes.  Trying to fix the reverse DNS lookups for all
> of these clients would be a very daunting task.  I wonder if there
> is a way to disable this behavior?  Otherwise I might be stuck
> installing ProFTPD on these FreeBSD boxes and calling it a day. :(

I would have thought that most ftpds do reverse name queries at some
point or other..AFAIK, the only fix is to fix the client, or to
convince ftpd not to do that. Check the source :-)

Kris

--=20
NOTE: To fetch an updated copy of my GPG key which has not expired,
finger kris@FreeBSD.org

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT--