Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 21:33:23 -0700
From:      "Freddie Cash" <fcash@bigfoot.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and memetics

> >   What you've missed is that FreeBSD representatives
> >in fact do *not* steer users towards Linux.  Where do
> >you get this idea, anyway?
>
> For two reasons. First, by saying that FreeBSD is positioned
> as a server, they chase people who are interested in UNIX
> on the client desktop to Linux.
>
> Second, they steer DEVELOPERS who are looking to target a
> UNIX platform toward Linux. Here is a direct quote from Jordan
> Hubbard:
>
> "I urge any ISV who's just thinking of getting into the Unix market for
> the first time to consider Linux as a first porting target in order to
> get the maximum bang for the buck."
>
> Of course, once they do, their next ports are to Solaris, then SCO,
> etc.... They just don't ever do FreeBSD, because FreeBSD users run their
> software under emulation.

Isn't this one of the reasons there weren't many native programs for
OS/2?  It ran windows programs better than windows.  So well, in
fact, that few developers wrote for OS/2.  Why write for a small
market (native app) when they could write for the larger market, and
get the smaller one through emulation.

While this is great for the short term to grab a big chunk of
available applications, is it viable for the long-term?

Freddie

fcash@bigfoot.com