Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:49:06 +0200
From:      Andrei Kolu <antik@bsd.ee>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.2 RELEASE - READ_DMA timed out

On Sunday, 14. January 2007 16:27, Pietro Cerutti wrote:
> On 1/14/07, Peter Ankerst=E5l <peter@pean.org> wrote:
> > ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA timed out LBA=3D1000941
>
> This kind of errors usually denote a hardware problem, either at the
> disk or at the controller level.
> Check sysutils/smartmontools in the ports.

This is not a hardware problem, this is Flash cards limitation- most of fla=
sh=20
cards don't work with DMA at all.

You should turn off DMA on every Flash card that is connected directly to I=
DE=20
channel to boot up any operating system. I know there is some IDE2Flash=20
adapters that can work with DMA but they are twice or even more expensive=20
than el cheapo adapters most devices got.