Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2000 17:56:06 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        thursday@altavista.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

[Please wrap your lines at about 70 columns or so for those of us with
RFC compliant MUAs. All of your paragraphs are on one line.]

On Sat, Nov 25, 2000 at 08:07:47PM -0500, thursday@altavista.net wrote:
>                      Hi,
>
> I installed FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE yesterday on my Pentium-II 266 machine, and I'm having a couple of issues...
>
> 1) Twice now, wtmp has become corrupted (ac -p reports root's total login time as -378999.4). last reports a bunch of normal logins except for one or two in the middle happening in December.
>
>      My question: What is the cause of this? Is there a better way to fix it (or edit wtmp) other than cat > /var/log/wtmp ^d? The machine is connected to a timeserver, and date has never reported anything but the correct date.

Hmmm... You installed yesterday, but had logons in December? Oh,
farther down you mention that this is an upgrade from 3.x. The format
of wtmp is not compatible between 3.x and 4.x. The format was changed
to accomodate >8 character usernames. Unless you want to go back and
recover the old data for some reason,

  # cp /dev/null /var/log/wtmp

Is the fix.

> 2) The machine is going to act as a gateway/router for my internal network. I've compiled a new kernel, setup rc.conf, setup my firewall (I used rc.conf and rc.firewall from the machine that this new machine is replacing (a freebsd 3.4 system), adjusting where necessary for the different ethernet device names), and all mostly works well (My isp's nameservers went down during the middle of this process, making setup & troubleshooting really lots of fun) except: the console & system log frequently report:
>
> "Nov 25 13:44:47 saucer natd[147]: failed to write packet back (Permission denied)
>
> Nov 25 13:44:53 saucer last message repeated 4 times "
>
> My questions are: What's up with this? Is this due to my firewall rules, or something else? I have log no set in /etc/natd.conf, and I'd rather not see this message if it's not affecting performance. I never saw this before on my 3.4 system.

This is due to a packet that was processed by natd(8) being dropped
later in the firewall rules.

> If there are some relevant files I can attach to help troubleshooting, please let me know.

For the 'failed to write packet back' problem, a copy of both
rc.firewall and output of 'ipfw show' are good if you still need help
with those.