Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 19:07:02 +0000
From:      Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Michael M. Butler" <butler@comp-lib.org>
Subject:   Re: some shit to see

"Michael M. Butler" wrote:

> Nuke this turkey, won't you? Thanks! :)
>
> jflowers@ezo.net wrote:
> >
> > peace
> >
> >                    Name: whatever.exe
> >    whatever.exe    Type: WAV Audio (audio/x-wav)
> >                Encoding: base64

unfortunately it seems a little more intelligent than a turkey as it can
bypass some security scanners such qmail-scanner
(http://qmail-scanner.sourceforge.net/) - i guess there's a bug relating
to the mime type, since we have this rule:

  .exe                    0       Executable attachment (not allowed)

which should block all .exe attachments, but this one gets through... i
will forward this to the qmail list as well instead of cross-posting,
but thought you might like to be aware in case your scanner is also at
risk...

cheers,
Adam
--
Adam Laurie                   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755
A.L. Digital Ltd.             Fax: +44 (20) 8742 5995