Date:      18 Jan 2001 09:51:28 WAT
From:      Greg Kintz <gakintz@usa.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Re: WaveLAN/IEEE Card in Desktop]

Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 16 January 2001 at  8:59:51 +0000, Greg Kintz wrote:
> > I have been trying to install a Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE (Orinoco)
> > pccard in my desktop BSD box. I am using the Lucent ISA-pccard
> > adapter. I finally got BSD to recognize the PC card adapter. I
> > recompiled the kernel with a new irq for pcic0 (11 instead of 10) =

and
> > did a trial and error routine with the jumpers on the card.
> >
> > However, I plugged in the orinoco card, and the computer
> > recognized it as wi0, but with an error message:
> > wi0: No irq?!
> > ... uugate pccardd[48]: driver allocation failed for Lucent
> > Technologies(WaveLAN/IEEE): Device not configured
> > I sometimes get a message: wi0: No I/O space!?
> >
> > I inserted the orinoco card into the laptop we configured with =

Free
> > BSD and got:
> > wi0: <WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11> at port 0x240-0x27f irq 3 slot 0 on
> > pccard0
> > wi0: Ethernet address ...
> > So the card works fine with FreeBSD in a laptop, but it is not =

working
> > with the ISA/pccard adapter.
> >
> > By default, when pccardd is started at boot, it reads
> > /etc/pccard.conf.sample. I created a new file, /etc/pccard.conf =

with
> > only the general setting at the beginning of the file, and the =

WaveLAN
> > settings:
> > debuglevel 99
> > io 0x280-0x360
> > irq 3 5 9
> >

> > I have tried a variety of irq settings and a variety of base =

addresses,
> > but I am never able to get past the error.
> =

> Well, the obvious first step is to find out which IRQs are free.  Take
> a look at the dmesg output and see which are there.  You might =

find
> that you'll have to run the pcic in polling mode.

We had done that previously and set the available irqs in =

/etc/pccard.conf.sample and later in /etc/pccard.conf. We have =

checked it again, and here are the current irq assignments:
irq      device
14       ata0
15       ata1
10       pci0
 6       fd0
 1       atkbd0
 4       sio0
 7       ppc0
10       ep0
 3       ep1

Our current settings in /etc/pccard.conf are:
debuglevel 99
io   0x220-0x360
irq  5 8 9 11 12 13

# Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE
[all the details for this copied from /etc/pccard.conf.sample]

Our current kernel config for the pcic device is:
device	pcic0	at isa? irq 0 port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000

We had it at irq 11, and the isa adapter card was recognized, but the =

wireless card errors were as described. We changed it to the current =

setting and pccardd sees the pccard when it is inserted, but we still =

have the same error.

Greg