Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 21:56:41 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
To:        Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
Cc:        Marc W <mwlist@lanfear.com>, Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI controller + CD Writer combo

Christopher Farley writes:
> Marc W (mwlist@lanfear.com) wrote:
>

> >     if inexpensive is a requirement, then SCSI is not the way to go.
>
> But if full CD-RW functionality under FreeBSD is a requirement, SCSI is
> essential...

I currently have ATAPI CD-RW on one box and SCSI on another. If you want
to run cdrdao I think you are stuck with SCSI. I don't see any advantage
of cdrecord over burncd other than complexity, which isn't an advantage.

Recently one online place I have purchased from had Symbios '825 based
PCI cards for $40. No longer listed on their site. That would be an
excellent choice for a CD-RW and/or tape drive. The '875 based card will
cost more but should be easier to find.

Have been pleased with my HP-9200 8/4/32 SCSI drive. And with my Sony
12/8/32 ATAPI.  A Philips 804 (8/4/32) was miserable under FreeBSD and
Windows.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net