Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 23:15:16 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Studded <Studded@dal.net>, FreeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Documentation plan?

If I may,

Having followed this thread a little, and having volunteered to do a
bit on NIS at Doug White's prodding (I ask too many questions ;-)),
I would say that the lack of an editor holds back the overall
FreeBSD project. (Don't anyone get mad now.)

The on line documentation, while good, puts a new user into heavy
sensory overload. It did to me, when I first started with FreeBSD.
I sympathize with all the newbies who ask the obvious questions.
Its obvious to me - now, but not then, nor when I venture onto new
ground.

I am not an expert by any means, but my thrashings getting NIS to work
gives me an insight into what the new user will bump into. I feel I
would like to help by telling someone else how to set NIS up (or
whatever else), but I'm not really a technical writer.

So, I need an editor. This is a volunteer project and I would feel
more comfortable putting something together then having it gone
through by an editor, or an editorial committee. Maybe people might
be more forthcoming if they felt they could rely on that.

I don't mean a professional editor, just a different pair of eyes.
A little distance makes a huge difference. I would even presume to
vounteer to be one of those pairs.

I guess this is a long winded (I did say I need an editor) way of
agreeing with you. It would also give the documentation an overall
cohesive feel.

Thanks for all your efforts!

John