Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 2000 07:28:20 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        William Freeman <wdf@picusnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: backspace key in Vi(m) under Xterm

William,

I would not give up on Emacs so quickly.

I run XEmacs and fire it up when I log in with no visible frames. I
have the .emacs file launch gnuserv and then use gnuclient as my
editor. It typically brings up a frame with the file I want to edit in
under a second. XEmacs even comes with a shell script to make the edit
command use gnuclient if you have a gnuserv running and xemacs if not,
but I'd prefer to just have XEmacs running at boot time.

I think emacs has similar capability, but I much prefer XEmacs, so I
have not tried it. If you can't make emacs work, try XEmacs. But don't
give up on as excellent an editor as emacs because of a problem so
easily worked around.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)